Chorizo Scones


I love scones. Piping hot, fresh out of the oven, melting butter and jam with their heat, sweet scones. With a cup of English Breakfast tea loaded with milk, I'm in what's known to be my own private proverbial heaven. It's a fact, I should have been born a britt, only I wasn't. I love scones, more than crumpets or cake. And the idea of savory scones has always appealed to me, in ways I cannot even begin to describe. So recently, we decided - that means I decided - we had to try baking some savory scones. As we had some good, portuguese chorizo handy (no we didn't, I forced my husband to go and get some, which then lead to the acquiring of other portuguese 'enchidos', a setback that was totally justifiable with the baking of another savory bread, soon to be presented here on the blog, marvelous pictures and all!!) we baked chorizo and white sesame seeds scones. And we ate them. All. They were that good. But don't just trust me, by all means, go ahead and bake these. You'll come back here thanking me with tears in your eyes - or cursing me because you won't be able to stop eating them and you'll all gain ten pounds, and I don't mean money...



Start by dicing the chorizo in smallish bits, bite sized. Leave them be - honestly, just drop that slice, you're gonna need it, stop eating it! Grab a hand of 340gr plain flour, 15gr sugar, 50gr melted butter, 1 egg, 1dl milk,  2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt. white sesame seeds and an egg yolk for coating the scones. Sift flour and baking powder onto a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, leaving the sesame seeds and the egg yolk out, but dropping in the chorizo. Mix well, without beating the dough, you don't want it to get hard. Dust your working surface with flour and pour the dough on top, as you gently roll it together to make a kind of large dough sausage. With the help of a good chopping knife, cut slices off this dough sausage, you want them to be fairly thick, but not so big they will look like discs or something. They must look like scones. Get an oven tray and cover it with parchment paper, then get those scones on the paper. With a fork beat the egg yolk and brush those scones with this egg yolk - you can obviously substitute this for milk, it's what I did - and the sprinkle the sesame seeds on every scone, pressing them a little so they adhere to the batter. Pop them in the oven at 180º and let them bake. As soon as they start to look golden on top, they're done. Eat them with moderation as an entrée, with some chilled rosé or use them as a meal, they're great for picnics. 



Comments

  1. bom, acho que nem preciso dizer o quanto estão apetecíveis!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment