Milk and cookies


We're in full swing Christmas mode here at my home. That means playing Christmas tunes all day long, researching Christmas recipes, donning the kitchen table with a Christmas alusive runner, and, of course, having the whole house filled with festive decorations and the Christmas tree up.


Every Christmas my son insists we leave something up for Santa Claus, usually a piece of cake with a glass of milk, as we are not - I must now say we were not - a cookie household. That means we sometimes baked some cookies, but we mostly like cake, and I think it was last year or the year before that I baked a batch of oatmeal and cranberry cookies that were quite delicious, and those were the ones we put up for Santa, on Christmas eve.



 You see, I do make it a point of having my son believe in Santa Claus while he is still in his childhood years, I do make it a point of having him believe there's a certain fantasy and magic behind the ordinary, day to day lives, I thrive on seeing his face lit up once the Christmas spirit enters this house as we put up the tree and the decorations, and the moment I turn on the lights on our Christmas village and hear him say that it all feels so magical, I know my job is done.


For it is this feeling of magic and fantasy that I find must be kept in childhood, when we grow up there is so much that will take its toll on us, and if we have this kind of childhood memories to fall back to, we can certainly infuse some of that wide eyed feeling into our lives when times get rough.


I think children are being made into adults so quickly, these days, in every sense. I see six year old girls dressed as if they were teenagers, with faux leather leggings, cheetah print on their boots and shoes, or on their coats and trenches, mimetizing teenage girls from television shows they see on children's channels, acting like they were fifteen and not six. I see this, and I feel that they are skipping something, a part of their lives that is so important, that of the full innocence and belief in fantasy and magic.


So I thrive on having my son be a wide eyed child for a few more years, one who is capable of believing Santa Claus is really going to cross the skies on Christmas eve, on a sledge pulled by reindeers, bringing gifts to every children in the world, I thrive on having him believe it is our job to help Santa and so giveaway his old toys that he doesn't play with anymore but that are still in good conditin so Santa can gift them to other children, as the elves have such a work load making new toys all year round that they deserve a little hand, I thrive on having him believe that Santa will be tired and hungry and will welcome a glass of milk and some cookies to nibble on as he takes a break at our place - all in the hopes of waking up and seeing Santa in our living room, I am sure - before he takes off on his journey, I thrive on that, because I believe that is what will make him a better man in the future, someone who is helpful to those in need, charitable, good hearted. And nothing is more innocent than a tall glass of milk and a dish filled with homemade cookies! It is the core of childhood.


Comments

  1. estão absolutamente apetitosos e natalícios estes teus bolinhos! já cheira a Natal!!
    votos de uma excelente semana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment