A rose that endures deserves pretty surroundings - how to make an impromptu vase for a single flower


My mother in law has this tiny garden patch in her home, with a lemon tree, an orange tree and two rose bushes. The oranges aren't very good for eating, they're way too fibrous, but they make great ornage juice, and the lemons are just the best lemons in the world. They're beyond fragrant, juicy, filled wth flavour, delicious. Whenever we go there, if there's lemons up that tree, we're sure to bring home huge quantities of them. And they last a long time too! We use them for cakes, and pies, and curds and seasoning and whatever the fancy. I hardly ever buy a lemon, frankly. It makes it even more special, to wait for these so I can cook up a batch of lemon curd.


And then there's the rose bushes. They're always so gorgeous, big and redolent and colourful! I never have flowers in my home, as I'm hugely allergic to polens, but I love flowers. I'm also adverse to picking them up, actually, as it kills them, I find it a bit selfish, and so I prefer to see them outside, on their trees and bushes and branches, colouring the world and making it a prettier place. Once in a bue moon I let my son pick up a flower or two so he can bring home and put in a vase, as I do prefer to see them outside.


But the last time I went to my mother in law's house, one of the roses was half broken from its stalk, due to heavy winds. I decided to pick it, as it was so pretty, and it was already condemned, so I broke off the rest of the stalk and dipped it in a water bottle, filled with water. It lasted the whole journey back, inside the car, on a day that was extremely hot. Tough little flower, it was!!


Getting home, I decided to keep it inside the plastic water bottle, so as not to disrupt it again. But we all know how ugly plastic water bottles are, so I decided to maybe spruce it up a  bit. I picked up a bit of wrapping paper, a colourful one, striped and cheery, with hues that complimented that of the rose itself, and wrapped it around the plastic bottle, tying it with a satin ribbon, orange and bright and fresh coloured, to add a little more spark and contrast.


And there it sat, for a whole week, on a small table next to my desk, so I would always have it in sight while I was working. It cheered the place up, and it was so easy to make an impromptu pretty vase to keep the flower in!! A vignette that was so fresh and cheerful, making the house look more alive, and brighter, and prettier. Doesn't take much to beautify my day.



Comments

  1. Adoro rosas! São as minhas flores favoritas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. confesso não serem nem de perto as minhas...

      Delete
  2. é por isso que eu ocasionamente apanho uma rosa ou flor para colocar em cima da mesa, dá-nos ânimo só de olhar para elas!
    E sim, era a cama do quarto onde fiquei! Bem diz a minha mãe que eu só gosto de velharias haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. tão simples e tão, mas tão bonito!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment