On feeling like a fraud, turning to soups for comfort and caramelizing onions


Whenever I blog a recipe, with photos I have styled and taken, I always feel a little bit like a fraud. Like I'm trying to play in the big league, with the big guys, but miserably failing and everyone can see right through it. I over analyze the images I choose to illustrate the recipe, I over analyze the recipe itself, always feeling like I am not making enough of an effort, I am not trying hard enough, I am not working hard at it. Because I am not a photographer, and the pictures I post showcase that pretty well, I always feel like they're lacking and that I cannot, try as I might, capture the perfect light, the perfect image, the perfect mood. My styling, I find it to be all over the place, as well, either too cluttered or too bare, making no sense at all most of the time, as if I have just thrown in a couple  of props into the midst of some sort of unnapetising looking food.


And then there's the cooking itself. Whenever there's something that's more refined, or hard working, or difficult to cook, I find that it is something that has been made by my husband, and all the dishes I cook are rather on the simplistic side, just common cooking, home cooking, everyday shabby cooking. Simple food. As if I cannot go beyond that. And that just shows me that as a cook, I am way too lousy to want to play with the big guys. Those that are so amazing my eyes pop out at every photo and my mouth salivates at every recipe. Or else I find myself thinking my cooking isn't trendy enough, I am not embrancing the trends out there, the gluten frees, the sugar frees, the dairy frees and meat frees, the avocados and the almond milks, I am not embracing those fads and so I lack. My cooking lacks. And thus, the blog is lacking.


But I cannot bring myself to cook like that. I should be more adventurous, I know. I should play with combinations more often, and cooking methods as well. Try new ingredients. Only, I shoot what I eat, in all honesty, I only cook what I would want to eat and serve to my family, and I do feel I do not develop recipes that are groundbreaking, imaginative, creative. Maybe I have hit a wall there, and should try to at least jump over it and see what's on the other side. Maybe I will. But I know that, whenever I look at other food blogs, I will always feel I'm a fraud, pretending I can play up there with the big guys, trying ever so hard to be let in to the big guys' club, trying ever so hard to do a good job when I don't have it in me to be one of them. And so I turn to soup.


I mean, there's nothing as comforting as soup, it's like a warm hug, a hot, fluffy, wooly blanket thrown over one's chilled body, an embrace of sorts when you're feeling down. I love soup. I love rich soups, full of everything good and filling. My soups tend to have an array of vegetables, a confusion of flavours and ingredients that end up to turn out really nutritious and tasty. At least for us. I confess I don't do much on the soup front on those hot Summer days - If you lived where I live, I would sincerely applaud you for eating soups in Summertime, when it's like 40º outside and all I can manage is salads, added to he fact that I can't bare cold soups - but come September and you can find me in the kitchen peeling veggies and throwing them into huge pans with good homemade stocks to infuse good ole flavours into the mix. Last week I was craving onion soup, and while I was at it - it being the process of peeling and chopping onions, which makes my eyes burn every single time - I decided I wanted to try and make some caramelized onions to take my soup just a little bit further where taste is concerned. And maybe pretend I'm there in the big league a little more convincingly!!


In order to make this onion soup, you will need:

  • four or five onions (depending on size)
  • 4 medium potatoes
  • one turnip
  • one courgette, large-ish
  • salt to season
  • 1 L chicken stock - or plain tap water, I use homemade chicken stock and it works fine
Start by peeling the onions, the turnip and the potatoes, and thoroughly rinsing them, along with the courgette. On a large pan over a high heat place the vegetables and cover with the stock. Bring to the boil, then lower heat, and let it simmer away untill the veggies are tender. Blitz with a hand blender and taste for seasoning - if the stock is seasoned you won't need to add any. Serve with a slice of rye bread for a light, Autumnal lunch, or drizzled with some caramelized onions for depth of flavour.


As for the caramelized onions, I'm sure you can find millions of great recipes all over the internet, if you just google it. They all boil down to basically the same, so here's my version, and a rather good one, if I do say so myself!

  • Five or six onions, depending on their size
  • a drizzle of olive oil
  • one teapoon of muscovado sugar
  • one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
Peel and slice thinly the onions - beware, this will elicit plenty of tears, if you're anything like me!! Might want to try some goggles on, to be on the safe side. Actually, if you have any solution for the problematic onion allergy, please, do let me know, it is hell for me, to chop one single onion, let alone this many!! - and set asside. On a pan heat up the olive oil and add the onions. Once they start becoming translucid, lower the heat and add the sugar and the balsamic vinegar. Allow it to cook gently over one hour. At this point, you need to sterilize your jars. I do this by turning the oven to 150º, 160º mark, place the jars and lids inside and wait fifteen minutes - five more if it's on the 150º mark. After said time, take them out of the oven, pour the caramelized onions inside and lid them. Once they're cool enough, you can keep in the fridge for over a week - assuming it will last you this long! - and use it to add intensity of flavour to any dish you might want to, or over soups, in sandwiches, even salads, they're that versatile! I hope you enjoy both recipes.



Comments

  1. i've been there all along, babe, so i know what you mean. but you know what? I´ll keep doing it just for the fun it gives me and yes i will still be dreaming of becoming an expert food and photgraphywise, but my life isn't just this and i think i have found my own particular style and own voice and so have you so, that's more than alright for now. as far as i'm concerned i love your photos and cookings and i'll always be a follower and an admirer. these soup with caramelizes onions is just superb and i mean it for real!
    a big kiss and have a nice week

    ps - sim, hoje apeteceu-me em inglês! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Aida, só tu!!! Bom, eu quanto a mim acho que ainda não consegui dar com o meu estilo de fotografia, quero conseguir muito melhor do que o que por enquanto faço, mas vou fotografando e vou editando e experimentando, acho que só assim é que posso sequer pensar em chegar "lá". Já quanto á minha voz, yah, esse está encontrada há séculooooos, é aquela chata que não se cala e se está sempre a queixar por tudo e por nada e tem sempre uma seca de uma história para contar, ou tem sempre uma opinião acerca de tudo e mais alguma coisa - um dia ouvi uma conhecida descrever-me assim e pensei que ela de facto não estava muito longe da verdade, tenho sempre uma opinião acerca de tudo e mais alguma coisa, esquisito para mim é não ter opinião ahahahahh!!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Olá Miranda. Devo andar distraída porque não conhecia o teu blogue e ainda bem que passaste pelo Mesa Corrida porque assim tive a oportunidade de o vir encontrar. É engraçado porque revi-me em muito do que escreveste, a simplicidade na cozinha (aliada a uma grande preguiça para sujar loiça), a dificuldade em definir um estilo de fotografia que me represente (mais minimalista ou com mais acessórios, ando sempre nesta indecisão). Enfim. Mas gostaria de dizer que adorei a receita da sopa de cebola, bem como o teu modo de escrever. Vou passar por cá mais vezes.
    Um beijinho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que bom que gostaste!! Descobri o teu blog muito por acaso, depois de uma notificação do Pinterest de que tinhas começado a seguir um dos meus "boards" e quando vi que tinhas um blog, fui logo espreitar e fiquei a gostar!!

      Delete
    2. Na minha humilde opinião adoro o que fazes aqui no blog. Claro que sentes que podes sempre melhorar, seja na fotografia, seja na comida, mas por aquilo que vimos falando ao longo dos anos as tuas receitas e o teu estilo de fotografia representam-te. As tuas fotos têm sempre aquela nuance do início do séc. XX, a forma como dispões as coisas idem, seja mais elaborado ou mais rústico e sempre me transmitiram conforto, família, união. À tua maneira, o teu blogue é diferente dos outros, e se as receitas que usas são as que vos fazem felizes, qual é o problema? E se vos fizer felizes explorar coisas mais elaboradas então força! Não precisas, sinceramente, de te comparares com os outros, tens o teu toque especial!

      Delete
    3. Rita <3!!!
      Nem é uma questão de comparação, é uma questão de admiração. Sério, há blogs para os quais olho, vejo as fotos e fico mesmo de boca aberta, a desejar conseguir um dia fazer algo minimamente parecido de tão bom trabalho que ali está, seja em termos do aspecto da comida, do styling dos acessórios e do prato, seja em termos da iluminação, ou do total resultado da foto. Fico maluca com certas imagens de tão evocativas que me parecem, tão perfeitas, e fico a desejar conseguir fazer algo que a mim me pareça assim tão evocativo, tão transcendente, tão belo mesmo. Há coisas aqui no blog que eu acho que ficaram MUITO bem conseguidas, sim, mas em contrapartida há muito por aqui que eu olho e sei que queria transmitir algo, e fiquei tão longe de o conseguir, e por mais voltas que dê parece que não sai nunca da cepa torta, não consigo nunca atingir aquela excelência que eu gostava de ter, e isso torna-se desanimador, sentires que por mais que te esforces e tentes não consegues chegar a lado nenhum com o teu trabalho e este nunca terá qualidade nem interesse. Enfim, são momentos, e eu continuo sempre a querer fazer mais, a querer evoluir mais, a querer experimentar mais coisas, mas lá que gostava de olhar para o blog e ver os resultados do trabalho árduo e do esforço, não vou mentir: gostava!! E sinto que não vejo.

      Delete
  3. Morri aquiiii! Cala-te! As fotos são boas e a sopa parece para lá de heaveeeeen!!!! Dear Lord. Ando c imensa vontade de partilhar receitas. Tenho mts vegetarianas. Mas olha, qd tiveres tempo, lê este artigo! Gostava de saber a tua opinião Lolol

    http://www.pandorasykes.com/the-kult-of-kanye/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acabei agora de ler. Não discordo NADA dela, até iria muitooooooo mais longe - devo ser a maior hater do clã Kardashian/ Jenner - relativamente ao Kanye, á Kim e aos restantes membros da familia, mas há certas opiniões que bom... é como a autora do artigo diz, não dizemos por medo de repercussões eheheheehh. EU vi as roupas e achei francamente feio, desinteressante, uma bardasquice de maior, e pensei que claro, vindo de quem vem, que para mim nem musicalmente tem ponta por onde se pegue... acho que já o disse uma vez, aquela gente pode levar banho de marcas as vezes que quiserem que hão-de sempre parecer os maiores saloios que a América deu ao mundo, e no entanto... são na verdade um clã que tem um peso económico, social, estilistico impressionante. Acho é que o exemplo que aquela gente dá, o tipo de role models que são, ajuda e muito a que a juventude de hoje em dia seja a parvoeira que é... mas prontes, isto dava pano para conversação de HORAS, mulher!!!

      Delete
    2. Sabia que irias achar isso!!! Concordo plenamente ctg!! E alias, já pensei fazer um post a tentar perceber o hype das Kadarshians......... N o entendo de todo. Acho-as o top dos tops da bimbice, do vulgar, do mau gosto. I just don't get it at ALL

      Delete
    3. Do vulgar, disseste tudo. E não é do vulgar tipo comum, não, é do vulgar de procedência ruim, de natureza baixa, grosseiro, rude. São rudes, são grosseiros. Por mais Saint Laurent e Prada que enfiem na cabeça, por mais capas da Vogue USA que faça, e Louboutins sobre os quais se equilibrem (bom, mas a miha opinião acerca de Louboutins é semelhante á minha opinião sobre o clã Kardashian/ Jenner) nunca passarão uma imagem de refinamento, de elegância, de estilo e muito menos de criatividade, de originalidade, de fora do comum. Bom gosto então é algo que não atinge aquela gente DE TODO.

      Delete
    4. Ahahhah exacto, por mais marcas que ponham em cima têm ar de saloias. E sinto exactamente o mesmo relativamente aos Louboutins!!! Gosh. People worship some shit as hell!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Hum acho que é mesmo fácil a gente cair na rede da comparação com o trabalho dos outros, aliás é inevitável, ainda por cima com os blogs. Não percebi foi se o facto de te achares uma fraude te faz mexer e inventar ou apenas reconheces o teu estilo (?). Still, se é uma coisa que fazes com todo o gosto - e é o que me parece - qual é o problema de não ser moderno?
    Em relação à sopa de cebola, não sei porquê mas acho-a muito francesa x) Eu acho que gosto de cebola mas ainda fico um bocado de pé atrás com algo assim, apetecia-me primeiro provar sem ver o processo porque ultimamente não me apetece comer nada que preparo x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nem uma coisa nem outra, faz-me é esforçar-me que nem uma doida, dar mil e uma voltas á cabeça e analisar tudo o que faço para o blog numa tentativa de parecer menos... mau. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment