World bread day a few days later - I'm never on time!


Last Monday was World Bread Day. I don't post but on Fridays, so I missed that one yet again. And it's a bit silly, seeing that I am a huge advocate for bread, which, for many years, has been considered almost like the source of all evil - much like milk or dairy products. But let's face it, not everyone has a gluten intolerance or an allergy. And you can make breads without the gluten. Bread is not the enemy, much on the contrary. Bread is life saving, life nourishing, life giving. I always say that to me, bread is like blood to a vampire: it is the life. I love bread. I think bread is magical. And home baked bread has a special magic all of its own which is far more enticing and alluring. The scent of it while it's proofing fills the house with promise of what's to come, a momento of joy and wonderment as you watch the dough gently rising to it's glory, knowing all along it will be such a treat, that first peace of crusty, still warm, dripping with butter bread...


Just think about it, it's the simplest of things. Water and flour, sometimes you don't even need yeast. And what comes out of that combo is something so heart warming, so fulfilling, so hope giving it can only be akin to magic. I do have the utmost respect for bread. That is why when people ask me to bring something to a dinner party, I always bring bread. It's not always looked at with happy eyes, but the fact is, if I am breaking and sharing my bread with you, I am giving you what is so very precious to me. I respect and love you enough to break my bread with you. There's nothing I love more than gathering around a table and sharing bread, before the "real meal" starts. There used to be bread at the table at every meal when I was a child, a habit that is long gone now. I wish people would bring it back at least for Friday or Saturday dinner, know what I mean? Make a simple celebration of those meals, sometimes those will be the only ones you get to share with the family, what with lives being so crazy busy right now. Break bread together, and enjoy it together, do not fear it. And bake your own, please, it will make all the difference. Once in a while, indulge in baking your own bread.


Now, this isn't a complicated bread recipe. It is actually the basis for most breads we bake here at home. And it's such a good one to incorporate into your habits, do give it a try. You'll need:
  • 350 gr bread flour
  • 7 gr baker's yeast
  • 200 ml lukewarm water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil - and here you can go nuts, incorporate a world of flavour.
Turn your oven at 180ª. Pour the water and the oil into a bowl. Mix the salt with the flour on another bowl and crumble the yeast into it. Mix together then add the dry ingredients to the wet. Knead for about fifteen to twenty minutes - or use an electrict implement, of course. The hook on your stand up mixer will do the work nicely. - until dough is soft. Let it proof inside the bowl covered with a kitchen towel, inside a dark cupboard, until it's doubled it's size. Once that's done, you can now add whatever you wish to. You can add dried fruits, seeds, nuts. You can add cured meats, cheeses, sundried tomatoes. The world is your oyster, and you cand do what you fancy. If you add anything at all, allow the dough to proof for at least another half hour. If not, now's the time to mold your bread into the shape you want and bake it for about 45 minutes on a ventilated oven. Add a tray with a bit of water to the bottom shelf of the oven so you create a moist environment, the bread will grow and taste even better for it. To check if it's done, the top should be golden and the sound of the bread should be hollow when you tap it. Now, you simply enjoy.


Comments

  1. I love bread too! Looks so nourishing indeed . Wish I could have joined you when you sliced the bread :)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sound of that crust when I sliced the first slice was akin to heaven with angels singing ahahahah!!! I do hope one day to break bread with you.

      Delete

Post a Comment