The Edible Christmas - A gingerbread soda bread to make your mornings all more joyful


What, another post? In the same week? Have I lost it completely? Hmmm, nope. Things will get slower round here right after the hols, as I foresee a few busy weeks ahead, hopefully a busy year, that brings all the results. I'll be working for it, at least. Right now, I just want to share all the Christmas cheer, and post photos that look and feel cosy, heartwarming, homely and a little magical too. It brings me joy, and in the end, that is all that matters.


We've established by now how much of a sucker for soda breads I am, right? I mean, it must be the one thing I've shared more variations of in this blog, over the years. (I can't believe this blog is close to its fifth anniversary, btw) It's the one thing I truly enjoy baking the most, and one of the things I I most love to eat. Give me bread, cheese, and a good red, and I'm set. So no wonder I'm always searching for different ways to make my soda bread just a tad more interesting! - not that it needs to!


This time, I'd had an idea stuck in my head for the longest time, and I couldn't shake it, no matter what. I knew I'd have to bake this version, and share it on the blog, if it came out good. At a time when every other food blog is sharing Christmas recipes, I'm doing the same, because sometimes you just can't swim against the current, can you? Got to go with it. I've shared many a festive recipe along the years, you just have to go back to the ghosts of Christmas pasts here on the blog to find delicious sweet treats to fill your festive tables, either for the Yuletide or New Year's Eve. But there's never been a Christmas Soda Bread around here.


Think gingerbread cookies, Christmas pudding, fruit cake. I wanted this bread to fall into that category of flavours: head on spicey, but not overwhelmingly so. Something that, as soon as it starts baking, the scents wafting from your oven will immediately set a mood on you, for all things magical and bright, colourful and cosy and heartwarming. I wanted this bread to be like the softest, warmest hug, the thing to set you ready for the season, the moment you bite into it in the mornings. It also makes for the perfect Christmas Eve breakfast, you'll know what's coming straight on.


So here's my take on a Christmas Soda Bread:
  • 250 gr flour
  • 100 gr rye flour
  • 1 tbsp bran
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 50 multigrain and oats mix - the one I use has dried fruits and nuts as well
  • 1tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp ground all spice
  • 1 tsp cinammon
  • 1/2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp soda bicarbonate
  • 1 level tsp salt
  • 1 egg on the large side
  • 2 natural yogurts (125 gr each)
  • 2 tbsp cider vinegar
Pre-heat the oven at 190º. Place all the dry ingredients inside a large bowl and give it a stir with a fork, combining everything together. On a separate bowl whisk the egg and the yogurts together. With the fork stir the wet mix into the flour. Once it starts coming together, pour over a floured surface and use your lightly floured hands to bring the dough together. Shape it into a round ball and place over a lightly floured baking tray, dusting the top with more flour (use spelt, it will add a nutty crunch and flavour that is to die for!). Use your hands to slightly flatten the dough into a disk and with a knife score a star or a cross on top, then bake it in the center of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Try to resist the mouth watering scents coming from the kitchen, if you can, and let it rest for a few minutes before you tuck into it.


Comments

Post a Comment